Chocolate Raspberry Cake2015-01-24
- Yield : 1 cake
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 25m
- Cook Time : 35m
- Ready In : 0m
I am very excited to share the beautiful cake that I made this weekend! It’s a chocolate raspberry cake from My Baking Addiction. Here’s the link for raspberry buttercream. The trick, which I have just discovered, is to put dampened cloth strips on the outside of the cake pans before they go in the oven so they stay level on top. Who knew? My cakes will no longer be lopsided and sad looking. Yay! I made a three layer cake with 3 8-inch pans, but I would recommend doubling the frosting recipe if you want to frost the sides.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup strong black coffee
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, mix the dry ingredients. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for about two minutes; the batter will be thin. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans and put the cloth strips around each of them.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
4. While the cakes are cooling, whip up the buttercream.
5. Spread the frosting between the layers of cake with a spatula, and decorate with raspberries and powdered sugar.